Re: Checkpoint logging, revised patch

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checkpoint logging, revised patch
Date: 2007-06-30 18:34:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> I don't think we currently use MB in any other log messages. If we go down
> that route, we need to consider switching to MB everywhere.

Are there a lot of messages that speak in terms of buffer pages though?
Other than the debug-level stuff, which this checkpoint message has now
been elevated out of, I don't recall seeing enough things that spoke in
those terms to consider it a standard. Someone feel free to correct me if
I'm wrong here.

> Did you check out log_autovacuum? Doesn't it do what you need?

I have not (most of this patch was done against 8.2 and then ported
forward). If that already shows clearly the start and end of each
autovacuum section, ignore that I even brought this up.