Re: Bgwriter LRU cleaning: we've been going at this all wrong

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bgwriter LRU cleaning: we've been going at this all wrong
Date: 2007-06-27 05:14:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> I haven't worked on [Greg's] patch. I started looking at this, using
> Itagaki's patch as the basis.

The main focus of how I reworked things was to integrate the whole thing
into the pg_stat_bgwriter mechanism. I thought that made the performance
testing a lot easier to quantify; the original patch pushed out debug info
into the logs which wasn't as helpful to me. I didn't do much with the
actual approach, my version was still following Itagki's basic insight
into the problem. I did change the smoothing method some, but as you say
that's up for grabs anyway.

> Since you have the test environment ready, can you try alternative
> patches as well as they're proposed?

The real upper limit on how much testing I can do is my home server's
capabilities, which for example aren't robust enough disk-wise to run
things like DBT2 on the scale I know you normally work on. I gots a disk
for the database, one for the WAL, 256MB of cache on the controller, and a
single dual-core procesor; can't fit too many warehouses here.