Re: Avoiding legal email signatures

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Avoiding legal email signatures
Date: 2007-06-10 16:33:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> If enough people do that, it might coerce people to avoid them, and
> perhaps we could put something in the FAQ about it.

You should just say flat-out that the terms of the mailing list are
incompatible with confidentiality and similar legal disclaimers because
the way messages are archived make that technically impossible. Put it in
the FAQ, put it in the message people get when they subscribe. Then
enforce similarly to how bad top posting is dealt with now: everyone
understands that people get only a curt response, perhaps just a pointer
to the relevant documentation, and instead are told the specifics of their
messages can't be addressed on the list while there's a disclaimer
attached.

Just ignoring them altogether will just give the community a bad
reputation for being unresponsive.