Re: COPY-able csv log outputs

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY-able csv log outputs
Date: 2007-06-02 05:51:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Greg Smith wrote:
>> Since the rotation size feature causes other issues anyway
>> that make importing more complicated, documenting the issue seemed
>> sufficient.
>
> What are the other issues? I'm not happy about producing files with split
> lines.

Just that it's fairly simple and predictable to know what your log files
are going to be named and when they'll rollover if you use something like
a date-based naming convention--but when you add size-based rotation into
the mix figuring out what files you need to import and when you should
import them gets more complicated.

Clearly fixing this issue altogether would be better, and I gather the
problem may extend to any time there is a switch to a new log file; my
"workaround" doesn't appear good enough anyway. I'm very glad I caught
and mentioned this now.

Because of the extra naming/import complexity, it still might be
worthwhile to suggest people not combine size-based rotation and the
csvlog though.