Re: Load distributed checkpoint V3

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Load distributed checkpoint V3
Date: 2007-03-25 15:45:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:

> Here is the latest version of Load distributed checkpoint patch.

Couple of questions for you:

-Is it still possible to get the original behavior by adjusting your
tunables? It would be nice to do a before/after without having to
recompile, and I know I'd be concerned about something so different
becoming the new default behavior.

-Can you suggest a current test case to demonstrate the performance
improvement here? I've tried several variations on stretching out
checkpoints like you're doing here and they all made slow checkpoint
issues even worse on my Linux system. I'm trying to evaluate this fairly.

-This code operates on the assumption you have a good value for the
checkpoint timeout. Have you tested its behavior when checkpoints are
being triggered by checkpoint_segments being reached instead?