Re: New features for pgbench

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New features for pgbench
Date: 2007-02-13 06:08:04
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Takayuki Tsunakawa wrote:

> The Win32 APIs that pgbench is using for gettimeofday() (in
> src/port/gettimeofday.c) is much lower in resolution than Linux.

I wasn't aware of this issue, and it certainly makes the whole latency
side of pgbench pretty useless on Win32. There is code in
src/include/executor/instrument.h that uses a higher resolution Windows
timer API than gettimeofday() does (as you point out, that one is only
resolves to one Windows tick, about 15ms). If I can get a Windows build
environment setup, I'll see if I can borrow that solution for pgbench.