Re: LinkedList

From: "Ben K(dot)" <bkim(at)coe(dot)tamu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Ray Madigan <ray(at)madigans(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LinkedList
Date: 2006-04-28 03:58:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I have a table that I created that implements a linked list. I am not an
> expert SQL developer and was wondering if there are known ways to traverse
> the linked lists. Any information that can point me in the direction to
> figure this out would be appreciated. The table contains many linked lists
> based upon the head of the list and I need to extract all of the nodes that
> make up a list. The lists are simple with a item and a link to the history
> item so it goes kind of like:

It may not be exactly suitable, but this one does only traversal (assuming
the list is not clsoed)

create table linkedlist(prevnode int, nextnode int, val int);
-- HEAD
insert into linkedlist values(null,1,0);
insert into linkedlist values(1,2,10);
insert into linkedlist values(2,3,20);
insert into linkedlist values(3,4,30);
insert into linkedlist values(4,5,40);
-- TAIL
insert into linkedlist values(5,null,50);

-- TRAVERSE
begin;
declare mc cursor for select * from linkedlist order by nextnode;
fetch 1 from mc;
fetch 1 from mc;
close mc;
commit;

which is nothing more than,
select * from linkedlist order by nextnode;

Regards,

Ben K.
Developer
http://benix.tamu.edu