Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Copeland <tom(at)infoether(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-08-11 05:38:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

---559023410-1857409239-1123738729=:5280

I have asked by our russian publisher to write book but they pay too
little. This is a main reason I'm not an author, in spite of I understand
it's important

Oleg

btw, Josh, your messages contain some bad characters which break my1;2c termina1;2cl1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c.
1;2c
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Tom, Jonathan, Folks,
>
>> This is preaching to the choir, but it'd be great if some more books on
>> PostgreSQL appeared.  I've got the pink O'Reilly one (Practical
>> PostgreSQL?) but it's getting pretty long in the tooth...
>
> Actually, the big problem with PostgreSQL books is not lack of demand but lack
> of authors. I've had requests from a number of publishers, and our own book
> (m1;2ce & Joe) is running behind due to overwork.
>
> Finding database book authors period is hard, because the people most
> qualified to write database books generally don't have time to do so. The
> MySQL community, for whatever reason has done a good job of promoting
> qualified people to write.
>
> So what I'm saying is that nobody can criticize ORA for not publishing
> Postgres books when they're not getting any proposals. If anyone reading
> this thread would *like* to be a postgreSQL book author, e-mail me, I'll hook
> you up (not necessarily with O'Reilly).
>
> BTW, Jonathan, I get the feeling that Bookscan results (for some reason) only
> cover about 20% of sales for tech books. At least, I was able to check
> royalty statements with couple of authors, and they indicated that the
> authors sold at least 4x what BookScan reports. Does this match ORA
> figures?

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83
---559023410-1857409239-1123738729=:5280--