Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Copeland <tom(at)infoether(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-08-11 05:18:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Tom, Jonathan, Folks,

> This is preaching to the choir, but it'd be great if some more books on
> PostgreSQL appeared.  I've got the pink O'Reilly one (Practical
> PostgreSQL?) but it's getting pretty long in the tooth...

Actually, the big problem with PostgreSQL books is not lack of demand but lack
of authors. I've had requests from a number of publishers, and our own book
(me & Joe) is running behind due to overwork.

Finding database book authors period is hard, because the people most
qualified to write database books generally don't have time to do so. The
MySQL community, for whatever reason has done a good job of promoting
qualified people to write.

So what I'm saying is that nobody can criticize ORA for not publishing
Postgres books when they're not getting any proposals. If anyone reading
this thread would *like* to be a postgreSQL book author, e-mail me, I'll hook
you up (not necessarily with O'Reilly).

BTW, Jonathan, I get the feeling that Bookscan results (for some reason) only
cover about 20% of sales for tech books. At least, I was able to check
royalty statements with couple of authors, and they indicated that the
authors sold at least 4x what BookScan reports. Does this match ORA
figures?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions