Re: Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alternate PostgreSQL.org Design
Date: 2004-11-12 20:39:53
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi there,

there will be many waves of 'new/alternative' design, so I propose
voluntary approach but with requirement of presence of "mandatory" part.
"mandatory" part should be available via http/rsync/ftp for mirroring.
I'd be happy to mirror on www.pgsql.ru, for example, pg announcements,
catalog of links to pg resources, documentations.
Having such mandatory parts/pieces of information it's easy to
to have design 1,2,3 as Gavin proposed. cookies could store preferences,
so no different url required.

Oleg
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> I'm not talking about opening it to input and design suggestions, i'm talking
> about a vote:
>
> A if you like the design at url1
> B if you like the design at url2
>
> Not open ended, not allowing for people to say "yeah but do this or do that"
>
> Gavin
>
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> Appearance and usability are both important factors. Are you saying that
>>> people outside of -www are not capable of judging both?
>>

>> The wider the audience, the harder it becomes to come to a consensus ...
>> those that are interested in the web site developments have/should join the
>> -www list, just like you did, and put in their 2 cents ...
>>
>> ----
>> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
>> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

>> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>> joining column's datatypes do not match

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83