Re: Postgresql.org search engine.

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql.org search engine.
Date: 2004-01-30 19:06:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> It's rumoured that Josh Berkus once said:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Out of curiosity, why are we not using OpenFTS for this?
>
> Mainly because Oleg's site uses OpenFTS and it seemed kinda pointless
> duplicating that, but also because the PostgreSQL port of ASPSeek is
> proving to be very good (see http://search.oztralis.com.au/ for an example
> of it searching 3.2 million pages).

Guys, there is a big difference between semi-static index (aspseek) and
incremental indexing of incoming documents (tsearch2). Our approach is
to develop fully automatical searchable mailing list archive with
instant indexing. So, for example, I see my postings about subj.
already in database and *searchable* ! I don't expect aspseek's search
engine at postgresql.org has my recent postings in its index.
OpenFTS has full access to metadata of documents, so we could limit search '
range by date, by list, by authors, so smart user could get reasonable
search performance (relevance is very good, because it based on
proximity). So, different searches for different purposes !

> Regards, Dave.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83