Re: Postgresql.org search engine.

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql.org search engine.
Date: 2004-01-30 18:50:20
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> It's rumoured that Oleg Bartunov once said:
> > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Dave Page wrote:
> >
> >> BTW, searching for 'database' really makes it think! Other queries
> >> that generate less hits (eg. Mvcc or psqlodbc) seem to be far quicker.
> >
> > It would think much longer if you search 'pgsql database' :(
> > Just tried and got ~100 sec.
> >
> Meep!
>

> > I suggest to include 'postgresql', 'pgsql', 'postgres' into stop words
> > list :( btw, you may look at word statistics and let top N words
> > as stop words.
>
> OK, I'll look at that after dinner - thanks.

bon appetit !

> >> I have also added some weighting to the indexed sites to try to give
> >> preference to those that are more 'authoritative' and of global
> >> interest than others. Any comments or suggestions for changes welcome
> >> as always!
> >
> > Hmm, I thought aspseek has sort of page rank, so let him works.
>
> It does, but I'm trying to give a little preference to results on sites
> with maximum appeal (ie. those in English), and the most authoritative

sounds reasonable.

> (ie. those that are published docs rather than list archives or user
> docs).
> Also, bear in mind that by default results are grouped by site on the main
> search page, so generally you will see results from *all* sites indexed on
> a single page (sorted with the site weighting factored in), but then drill
> down into a specific site which is unaffected by the site weighting.
> Regards, Dave.

I don't have an experience with aspseek, but one desirable feature -
spelling support for user's query. Does aspseek has support for this ?

Design suggestion: I'd like to see most important parts of form at left side,
for example, site selector, imho, better to have left most, then grouping,
format, number results per page.

Also, I don't like fixed width, in my browser I have to scroll left-right
to see a whole form :)

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83