Re: Weird manual page

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Weird manual page
Date: 2002-07-30 15:36:45
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I wonder if we should just point to Oleg's URL from our docs. That way,
> as he adds stuff, people can go there to get it.

I think better to have basic GiST documentation shipped and a point
to our page. We have complete GiST API documented in Russian and
a little intro in English, so most work is already done. We certainly
need to write info with real-life examples, but for the moment we
have no time. There is a bunch of GiST based contrib modules at least.
I'll try to translate GiST API this week and would be happy if somebody
integrate it with Postgres documentation.

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> > > GiST is, um, *very* poorly documented. Feel free to submit doc patches.
> > > (I've just committed a few tidbits in xindex.sgml, but much more work
> > > is needed.)
> > >

> > We have some docs
> >
> > http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/
> >
> > there is introduction
> > http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/doc/intro.shtml
> >
> > and description of current GiST interface
> > http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/doc/gist-inteface-r.shtml
> > it's written in Russian.
> > I could try to translate if needed.
> >
> > > regards, tom lane

> > > TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
> > > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org so that your
> > > message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
> > >

> > Regards,
> > Oleg
> > Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> > Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> > Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> > phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83