Re: Problems with 7.1.1 rpm with Mandrake 8

From: Jukka Honkela <fatal(at)ees2(dot)oulu(dot)fi>
To: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with 7.1.1 rpm with Mandrake 8
Date: 2001-05-21 09:36:34
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Badekas Dias wrote:

>Tried to install postgresql v.7.1.1 on a "freshly" installed Mandrake 8
>Linux
>(of course after removing postgre v 7.0) from the binary rpms
>
>Incompatibility poped-up on libstdc++-libc6.1 (from the rpm binary) with
>libstdc++2.10 ( from the mandrake linux v8, installation). This terminates
>the installation process.
>
>does anyone know of a work--around ?

Yes, compile the sources by yourself. There are differences between
distributions, and, for example if the rpm's were compiled for rh 7.1,
it might mean that they do not work on mandrake because of library
differences.

rpm --rebuild postgresql.....src.rpm

Even this might fail, though, and might require changes to the .spec
file. In this case, if you do not feel comfortable doing the changes,
I'd recommend waiting for somebody else to make binary RPM's available
for Mandrake.

Jukka Honkela