Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL and PHP - some Great Bridge news

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: PostgreSQL-PHP list <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL and PHP - some Great Bridge news
Date: 2001-03-27 10:41:40
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-php

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Ned Lilly wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm pleased to announce two initiatives at Great Bridge aimed at
> improving the integration of PostgreSQL and PHP, and some exciting stuff
> that we're doing as a company to get behind PHP more fully.
>
> First, Great Bridge is partnering with Zend Technologies to include a
> fully-integrated installation of PHP in an upcoming Web developer's
> edition of Great Bridge PostgreSQL. In addition to
> professionally-supported PHP (and other open source Web technologies),
> we'll also give our customers the chance to purchase Zend's value-added
> PHP tools (IDE, cache, encoder, and more...) Zend is a major
> contributor to the open source PHP effort, and we're very happy to be
> working with them.
>
> Secondly, we're pleased to announce that three PHP core developers have
> joined the Great Bridge advisory committee- Rasmus Lerdorf, the creator
> of PHP; Thies Arntzen, an expert in PHP-database connectivity; and
> Sascha Schumann, PHP author and provider of high-performance webchat
> solutions. Rasmus, Thies, and Sascha will work with us to help craft
> our Web developer products and services, including (of course) a fully
> optimized free download package. We'll be putting some development
> energy into the PHP-Postgres interface, and look for other ways the two
> open source projects can help each other.
>
> We're also very interested in hacker feedback as to what you'd like to
> see in a software and service package that revolves around the Web
> development "stack." What kind of tools, building blocks, and
> applications would you like to see commercially supported? Don't be shy
> - please email me at ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com with any suggestions. I'll
> also be at ApacheCon in a few weeks if you'd like to get together in person.

Ned,

I'd like to point you on Mason ( http://www.masonhq.com ) which is what
many web developers use in real life. I'm using it from the very beginning
with PostgreSQL and very happy. PHP and Mason have the same goal but
different philosophy. Mason utilize modperl technology and pure perl
and many people like this approach. So, if you said "one", why not to say
"two" :-)

Regards,

Oleg

> Thanks,
> Ned

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83