Re: Implementation of the frontend protocol

From: Peter Korsgaard <jacmet(at)control(dot)auc(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implementation of the frontend protocol
Date: 2000-11-20 12:32:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

I got the startup part of the serverprotocol implemented according to the
documentation at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/programmer/protocol.htm,
but there seems to be something missing in the specification.
After I send the ReadyForQuery packet I recieve a Query packet containing
"select getdatabaseencoding()", which I cannot find information about
anywhere. A search on the postgresql website only gives a reference to a
bugfix regarding unicode characters and varchars, but I guess it's
something about the character encoding used.

What am I supposed to return in response to this select?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard