Re: Is PostgreSQL multi-threaded?

From: Rich Teer <richard(dot)teer(at)rite-group(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is PostgreSQL multi-threaded?
Date: 2000-05-30 02:40:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> > Postgresql works under a multi-process model, it will take advantage
> > of multiple processors. However it not multi-threaded.
> >
> So in other words, it *is* multithreaded. It just uses heavyweight
> threads.

Thanks - but I did mean (light weight) threads, as opposed to processes.
I think the former can be more efficient than the latter - although perhaps
a bit more tricky to design well!

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence. (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com