Re: RPM troubleshoot

From: Travis Bauer <trbauer(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, santosh behera <santosh_behera(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: RPM troubleshoot
Date: 2000-05-21 13:02:33
Lists: pgsql-general

If you are trying to install the most recent version, you could try

rpm -Uvh ....

Depending on what distribution you are using and how it is configured,
Postgresql may be installed. However, on earlier version of RedHat (can't
quite remember which), although postgresql was installed, it took a bit of
tweaking the system startup scripts, environment variables, create the
user postgres, and run initdb to get it working. Some people found it
confusing. I talked to guy in town who said he was in a discussion on the
internet where the concluded the earlier RPMS were broken for
RedHat. They weren't, but the initialization process was confusing
people.

Conclusion: Even if postgresql is installed on your system from a
previous version, re-install it with the new rpms. It's easier to get
running, and works much better.

Travis Bauer | CS Grad Student | IU |www.cs.indiana.edu/~trbauer