Re: ODBC and crypted passwords

From: Henk van Lingen <henkvl(at)cs(dot)uu(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC and crypted passwords
Date: 2000-04-11 23:21:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Henk van Lingen <henkvl(at)cs(dot)uu(dot)nl> writes:
> > I'm playing with the ODBC driver (which works fine) but I like passwords
> > to travel encrypted, which is not supported at the moment.
>
> > Is there any work being done on this? The TODO says (in 1998) that the
> > priority is low. Why is that?
>
> I think that just means that Bryan doesn't care about it very much ;-).
> If you do, step right up and submit a patch. The way things work around
> here is that tasks get done when someone is motivated enough to do them.

I know, but I like to know what others know first :-)

Anyway, I looked around and...

> > Is there something which makes a 'crypt' implementation hard?
>
> I imagine the problem is that he doesn't want to depend on the 'crypt'
> library, which is standard on Unixen but not (AFAIK) on Windows.
> Otherwise it'd be easy to transpose libpq's code into the odbc driver.

didn't find a libcrypt but did find an ANSI C implementation of crypt(3)
here: http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~mdipper/ I included this in connection.c,
installed visual C++, changed a few lines and it works for me.

If anyone is interested, you can find my connection.c and new DLL here:

http://www.cs.uu.nl/~henkvl/psqlodbc/

Regards,
| Henk van Lingen, Systems Administrator, <henkvl(at)cs(dot)uu(dot)nl> |
| Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University. phone: +31-30-2535278 |
+----------------- http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/henkvl/ ------------------+