Re: recovery from media failure

From: adb <adb(at)Beast(dot)COM>
To: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: recovery from media failure
Date: 2001-02-02 22:34:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for the info, Raid is definitely in the picture,
I'm worried about the less likely but definitely possible case where
your entire raid array gets smoked (or just the two disks you care about)
and I don't want to recover from a 24 hour backup.

The two options I can see are one way replication to a slave server or
incremental dumps like sybase or oracle (or dare I say mysql)

Replication would be desirable if downtime was a huge issue but I can
tollerate a small amount of downtime but not the loss of a days worth of
data.

The reason I'd rather not have full blown replication is that I'm going to
have a large cluster of postgres database machines acting as one large db
and if I use replication then I need a second instance of postgres for
each one. I'd much rather write a continuous recovery log to a buddy
machine for each one.

Thanks,

Alex.