Re: Using Threads?

From: Myron Scott <mscott(at)sacadia(dot)com>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Threads?
Date: 2000-12-05 04:06:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I would love to distribute this code to anybody who wants it. Any
suggestions for a good place? However, calling the
work a code redesign is a bit generous. This was more like a
brute force hack. I just moved all the connection related global
variables to
a thread local "environment variable" and bypassed much of the postmaster
code.

I did this so I could port my app which was originally designed for
Oracle OCI and Java. My app uses very few SQL statements but uses them
over and over. I wanted true prepared statements linked to Java with JNI.
I got both as well as batched transaction writes ( which was more relevant
before WAL).

In my situation, threads seemed much more flexible to implement, and I
probably could
not have done the port without it.

Myron