Large Objects Across a Network

From: Geoff Russell <geoff(at)austrics(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Large Objects Across a Network
Date: 2000-09-12 06:04:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with large objects - I don't need Gb, but around
10k to 30k per object. It seems that the files in the
lo_import/lo_export calls have to be on the same machine as the backend
and furthermore that they can't contain symbolic links.

Am I right so far?

If so, then how does a person on a second machine get a large object.

e.g., I'm working on machine HOST-SLOW, and the backend is on HOST-FAST.

$ export PGHOST=HOST-FAST
$ psql DB
select lo_export(T.X,'/tmp/X') from T where ...

will give you a file on HOST-FAST so I need to make sure HOST-SLOW can
see the file.

Is there a way of having a network client use large objects without requiring
NFS or similar to share disks?

Cheers,
Geoff Russell