Re: changing data type

From: "D(dot) Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com>
To: bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net
Cc: Chris <csmith(at)squiz(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: changing data type
Date: 2000-10-19 16:17:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

You're absolutely right. I should have said, "i'm not sure, but here's an
approach"

and uhm, i'd be surprised if someone wants/needs to alter tables from a
cgi on the fly

unless you're confused about "type casting" -vs- altering tables
permanently

> > My approach is "generic" and works across just about every SQL database
> > manager out there....
>
> That's fine, if one has the luxury of doing that, but dumping the data or
> rebuilding tables won't work in, say, a CGI script where the data needs to
> be converted on the fly. You also said that there wasn't a way to do it
> in PostgreSQL 6.x, and it's right there in the docs for PostgreSQL 6.x.
>
> Brett W. McCoy
> http://www.chapelperilous.net
> C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
> [It is magnificent, but it is not war]
> -- Pierre Bosquet, witnessing the charge of the Light Brigade

david(at)backpack(dot)com BackPack Software, Inc. www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax Don't forget your BackPack!"