Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?
Date: 2000-02-23 12:54:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> insert OID = 9999 ( bit varying PGUID 1 1 t b t \054 0 0 bitvaryingin ... )

> The space in the type name is gonna confuse things.

> AFAICS the solution would have to be similar to what we already do for
> CHARACTER VARYING: parse the type declaration specially in gram.y,
> and translate it to an internal type name.

Those are only workarounds on the backend level though. Every new hack
like this will require fixing every client applicatiion to translate that
type right. It's fine with CHARACTER VARYING, because VARCHAR is an
official alias (although it's not the real type name, mind you), but there
is no VARBIT or NVARCHAR. It seems that allowing something like

bit\ varying

in the bootstrap scanner will solve the problem where it's being caused.
Internal type names should go away, not accumulate. ;)

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders vaeg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala