--enable-multibyte

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: --enable-multibyte
Date: 2000-01-13 11:30:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We had a dicussion about this already, but I think I came up with a
solution that works for everyone.

[proposal]

* If you configure with --enable-multibyte then you build a server and
clients that are multibyte enabled (as defined by the MULTIBYTE symbol).
If you don't use multibyte functionality then nothing will change, so this
would be the preferred option for package maintainers.

* If you configure with --enable-multibyte=XXX then XXX will be initdb's
default encoding, but XXX won't be used anywhere else. This option is for
those who insist on it; the preferred way to go about this would be the
respective option for initdb itself.

I'd leave the --with-mb option in there but hidden and make the new option
the published interface. Any protests?

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders vaeg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala