Re: [GENERAL] Making NULLs visible.

From: Steve Doliov <statsol(at)statsol(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Making NULLs visible.
Date: 1998-10-09 22:18:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > > Yes, \ always outputs as \\, excepts someone changed it last week, and I
> > > am requesting a reversal. Do you like the \N if it is unique?
> >
> > Well, it's certainly clear, but could be confused with \n (newline). Can we
> > have \0 instead?
>
> Yes, but it is uppercase. \0 looks like an octal number to me, and I
> think we even output octals sometimes, don't we?

my first suggestion may have been hare-brained, but why not just make the
specifics of the output user-configurable. So if the user chooses \0, so
be it, if the user chooses \N so be it, if the user likes NULL so be it.
but the option would only have one value per database at any given point
in time. so database x could use \N on tuesday and NULL on wednesday, but
database x could never have two references to the characters(s) used to
represent a null value.

steve