Installation problems with postgresql

From: Ravikrishna Venkata Ruddarraju <ravigtri(at)cc(dot)gatech(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Installation problems with postgresql
Date: 2000-01-11 02:58:44
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi,
We are a research group at Georgia Tech atlanta, USA. We want to
use postgresql for our classes and research. We tried to install it but we
had some installation problems. Details:

Version of postgresql: 6.5.3
Operating system on which we tried installtion: Solaris
Hardware: sparc 20

In the installation instructions it was mentioned that one can
install pgsql on any unprivileged account. For the sake of testing I tried
to install it on my personal solaris account. I created the directories
usr/local/pgsql in my personal space and proceeded with installation
procedure. But after compilation it did give the message: "ready to
install" and hung up there. I opened a new window and ran the installation
commands, then the following messages were displayed:

copernicus:/net/hh1/ravigtri/usr/local/pgsql/postgresql-6.5.3/src} tail -f
make.install.log
gmake[1]: Entering directory
`/net/hh1/ravigtri/usr/local/pgsql/postgresql-6.5.3/src/utils'
gmake[1]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/net/hh1/ravigtri/usr/local/pgsql/postgresql-6.5.3/src/utils'
gmake -C backend install
gmake[1]: Entering directory
`/net/hh1/ravigtri/usr/local/pgsql/postgresql-6.5.3/src/backend'
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/lib
mkdir: Failed to make directory "/usr/local/pgsql/lib"; No such file or
directory
gmake[1]: *** [/usr/local/pgsql/lib] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/net/hh1/ravigtri/usr/local/pgsql/postgresql-6.5.3/src/backend'

Your help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Eagerly waiting for your reply,

-Ravi (ravigtri(at)chmsr(dot)gatech(dot)edu)