Re: [SQL] Newbie questions

From: Remigiusz Sokolowski <rems(at)gdansk(dot)sprint(dot)pl>
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Newbie questions
Date: 1998-12-15 13:41:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

> > > select * from animals where id='dogs' ignore case;
> >
> > look at operators in docs
> > ~~ - LIKE operator
> > ~* - match(regex), case insensitive operator
> > I have no idea which is better
> > Rem
> > p.s. I could make some mistakes in this examples - check in amnual or docs
>
> The like and regexp do a match rather than an equality test.
> For an exact equality ignoring case, simply use
>
> SELECT *
> FROM animals
> WHERE lower( id ) = 'dogs';
[..]

So if they do match - I don't need to use with them some wild characters
(* or %)? And second question: Can I use % with = operator?
I know - simple question, but I feel now a little confused - manual
doesn't clear it either - I thought about it, but as long as all works
fine - I haven't needed this knowledge.
TIA
Rem
*
/\
Remigiusz Sokolowski e-mail: rems(at)gdansk(dot)sprint(dot)pl i/ o\i
/ * \
Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia i i/_o _\i
Szczesliwego Nowego Roku o/ O\o
Marry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! / i \