Re: BUG: DatabaseMetaData.getColumns isn't case insensitive

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: maly(dot)velky(at)email(dot)cz
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG: DatabaseMetaData.getColumns isn't case insensitive
Date: 2009-02-03 04:43:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, maly(dot)velky(at)email(dot)cz wrote:

> I'was trying to get meta data of a column and discovered that the column
> name is case sensitive though it should be case insensitive. I don't
> know if this can be somehow determined by a configuration or environment
> change because I believe that till recently it worked in a
> case-insensitive manner.

This is done by design and has been since 7.3 I believe. The problem is
that you can legally have two columns named "T1" and "t1". To support
this we need to be case sensitive on the Java side.

> BTW, the metadata reports:
> supportsMixedCaseIdentifiers: false
> supportsMixedCaseQuotedIdentifiers: true
> (which is pretty much expected)

This is reporting how the server matches up with the SQL standard, not how
a particular JDBC API call works.

Kris Jurka