Re: neooffice form problem with numerics

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: reubano(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: neooffice form problem with numerics
Date: 2008-11-23 01:21:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Reuben Cummings wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to use a neooffice form to insert numerical values
> into a postgres database and get the following error:
>
> ESTERROR: 42804: column "back_load" is of type numeric but expression
> is of type character varying at character 35

Neooffice is apparently calling setString for the numeric parameter. The
driver assumes this means it is really a string type and the backend gets
the type mismatch error. Neooffice should really be calling setBigDecimal
for a numeric expression, but you can work around this by providing the
driver with an instruction to avoid specifying a type for values provided
by setString. Use the URL parameter "stringtype=unspecified" when
connecting to the database and that should hopefully work.

Kris Jurka