Re: post

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Andrey Kikhtenko <A(dot)Kikhtenko(at)tscrm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: post
Date: 2008-09-30 15:02:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Andrey Kikhtenko wrote:

> I have postgreSQL database (server & database encoding - utf-8. Version
> - 8.3)
>
> I've created the login with the Cyrilic symbols (f.e. "").
>
> When I'm tryin' to connect using JDBC I'm receving the exception:
>
> {code}
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: password authentication failed
> for user "??????"

The initial connection setup with the server does not have a well defined
encoding so the only thing that is guaranteed to work is plain ASCII. Up
until a week ago, the JDBC driver always sent the username as ASCII so it
wouldn't work. Last week it was changed to use UTF-8, so now some more
cases should work (including yours). You'll need to build the driver from
CVS, or you can try this one:

http://ejurka.com/pgsql/jars/ak/

Kris Jurka