Re: JDBC driver works in ccommand line, not in Tomcat5

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Baty <batymohn(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC driver works in ccommand line, not in Tomcat5
Date: 2007-09-05 17:31:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
>> Turns out this is pretty easy to do, I'm just not sure what the best text
>> to report to the user is, so far I have:
>
>> Your security policy has prevented the connection from being
>> attempted. You must grant the connect java.net.SocketPermission
>> to the database server host and port that you wish to connect to.
>
> Can you really tell for sure that it's security policy and not something
> else? A message as specific as this would be downright
> counterproductive if it's wrong.

We can be pretty sure by checking if the connection setup failed because
of an AccessControlException:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/security/AccessControlException.html

> FWIW, the backend's style guide would suggest dividing that into an
> ERROR and a HINT, particularly if the HINT could be mistaken.

We don't have separate fields, but I agree it's a little strong, perhaps
"You probably need to" instead of "You must".

Kris Jurka