Re: Bug in org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: David Clark <davidclark(at)tx(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet?
Date: 2007-04-30 22:34:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, David Clark wrote:

> There seems to be a bug in internalGetObject(int, Field) in
> org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet. I am using the
> postgresql-jdbc-8.0-319.src sources. I am placing the patch file inline
> below in case the mailing list does not accept attachments. The bug (?) is
> that for TINYINT and SMALLINT columns a java.lang.Short should be returned
> from internalGetObject, but an Integer is returned instead.

Actually this behavior is correct according to the JDBC spec. If you see
Appendix B [1] it says:

Note - The JDBC 1.0 specification defined the Java object mapping for the
SMALLINT and TINYINT JDBC types to be Integer. The Java language did not
include the Byte and Short data types when the JDBC 1.0 specification was
finalized. The mapping of SMALLINT and TINYINT to Integer is maintained
to preserve backwards compatibility.

Kris Jurka

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr221/index.html