Re: getProcedureColumns

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Jeffrey Cox <namredips(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getProcedureColumns
Date: 2007-02-14 15:32:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jeffrey Cox wrote:

> I can make them handy, but when you say they don't work do you mean it
> crashes, or what exactly. I ask only because the DBMS seems to have varying
> support for the method overall. below 7.3 not being able to support the call
> at all, below 8.0 not supporting argument names and below 8.1 not supporting
> argument modes. when I say not supporting, I mean there is not column for the
> data in 'pg_proc'. I didn't actually try this against those over servers, but
> looked it up in the respective documentation of each server version. I
> suppose that information might reside in another table, I will have to
> install the other versions and find out.

1) Your tests try to create functions with named and output parameters
unconditionally. These can't be created on older servers.

2) The code you've added to TestUtil uses dollar quoting which isn't available on all
servers.

3) The code in getProcedureColumns fails with a "couldn't find a column
named ..." for older server versions. You need to either add ", NULL as
colname" to the sql for older versions or not fetch these columns
unconditionally.

>> 1) It's better to send all your changes as one patch instead of one per
>> file. It makes it easier to apply.
>
> good to know, would you like me to resend them?

No, that's just a minor inconvenience, not an actual problem.

Kris Jurka