Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion

From: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date: 2007-01-24 23:15:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:38:06PM +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > sure that ISP is a bit stupid(especially wrt plpgsql) - but tsearch2 in
> > the current version is actually imposing some additional(often
> > non-trivial) complexity for things like database restores and upgrades
> > so I can see an ISP wanting to avoid that altogether.
>
> Something I've wondered about before is the concept of having installed
> Modules in the system. Let's say for example that while compiling
> postgres it compiled the modules in contrib also and installed them in
> a modules directory.
>
> Once installed there, unpriviledged users could say "INSTALL foo" and
> it would install the module, even if they do not have the permissions
> to create them themselves.

That would be great, and also it would be great to be able to CREATE
LANGUAGE as a regular user for a trusted pl that is already
compiled/installed.

> That way you don't clutter the catalogs with external projects, and
> there is some indication from the postgres team of some trust in these
> modules. After all, if the installation made it easy to use for users,
> it must be safe, right?

Essentially, I think they are just pretty reluctant to run commands as a
superuser on behalf of a user...

--
It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.