Re: release for 8.2

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: release for 8.2
Date: 2006-11-29 03:17:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Given the number of patches recently added, and the impending release of the
> server, what do we want to do about releasing an 8.2 version?

Outstanding patches I'm aware of:

1) standard strings - Needed for correct operation, so needs to go into
8.2.

2) binary transfer - still needs some more work and testing. Will wait
for 8.3.

3) XA end then join for weblogic - should go into 8.2

4) XA autocommit - should go into 8.2

5) FAQ patch for XA - should probably be merged into the main docs and
have a pointer from the FAQ to the docs.

6) Build datasource code with JDK1.6 - will go into 8.2

7) NPE in BlobInputStream - should go into 8.2.

8) There are several older patches that no one has reviewed (named
parameter support for CallableStatement, client ssl certs, ...). With a
week or so to go, these aren't going into 8.2.

If there are other patches please add let me know about them...

If you or Oliver could review the XA patches that would be greatly
appreciated. I really haven't had the time to keep up with all of
intricacies of JTA.

As to doing something like releasing a beta driver? I'm not sure when
we'd do that. I could build a new dev release now, but then the above
patches wouldn't be included. With the release scheduled for next week
and packagers needing to get the jar files before that we need to put out
a final this weekend I'd guess. The lack of testing is disconcerting, but
if we delay what will packagers ship? 8.1? If so how could they migrate
to 8.2?

Kris Jurka