Re: JDBC CTS failures

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC CTS failures
Date: 2006-10-29 02:50:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Dave Cramer wrote:

> CallableStatement.prepareStatement( call function that does updates )
> then does a number of addBatch callls
> and does executeBatch()
>
> This fails since executeBatch does not allow resultsets and we emulate
> calling a function by doing "select * from funcname()" which does return a
> result set.
>
> The proposal is to have CallableStatement.executeBatch ignore this resultSet
> instead of throwing an exception.
>
> Can anyone see any problems with this ?

There are potential problems if you pass large parameters to the function
and it returns large values. See the comments around
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.MAX_BUFFERED_QUERIES.
Despite the potential problems I think we should implement this
solution because we've gotten this complaint reasonably often and the
errors should be rare (although unfortunately difficult to diagnose).

Kris Jurka