Re: jdbc 8.n driver / pgcluster problem

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Christian Dannemann <Christian(at)merus(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc 8.n driver / pgcluster problem
Date: 2006-09-21 02:45:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Christian Dannemann wrote:

> Apparently, pgcluster's replication only works when using jdbc driver < 8.0,
> so 7.4 works fine and all database changes submitted to one database are
> replicated across the cluster without any problem.

The 8.0 driver started making full use of the V3 query protocol and since
pgcluster uses query based replication I'd bet it doesn't correctly handle
queries submitted via the extended query protocol. If this is true that's
a very serious flaw and affects all other clients (that use the extended
query protocol), not just a JDBC issue. A workaround for the JDBC driver
might be adding ?protocolVersion=2 to your URL, but this revelation would
make me hesitate to use pgcluster at all.

Kris Jurka