Re: gcj has a lot of complaints about 8.1-405 release

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: gcj has a lot of complaints about 8.1-405 release
Date: 2006-03-28 20:47:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> BTW, one Red Hatter had this to say:
>
>> Yeah, AFAIAC this is a bug in ant. Really, the build file should be using
>> ${java.version} instead of ${ant.java.version} to avoid this problem, IMHO.
>> I ran into a similar issue with the Eclipse SDK.

The difference is that java.version will return things like 1.4.2_08
instead of just 1.4, so they are not equivalent. ant doesn't offer a lot
of tools to parse such a string, the best you could do would be a global
substring match. Trying to find 1.4 would match 1.1.4 as well as 1.4.2
though. Since we don't support 1.1 builds we could do this, but it seems
a little fragile with perhaps other vendors using different format
strings. The best solution for older ant users might be to duplicate the
checks ant makes for ant.java.version in our own build file. That way we
can put in the latest updates and not require an upgrade.

Kris Jurka