Re: NullPointerException when calling ResultSet.absolute(int)

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NullPointerException when calling ResultSet.absolute(int)
Date: 2005-08-31 18:50:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

>>> Does that mean that the whole data is fetched from the server as soon
>>> as I use scrollable result-sets?
>>
> I wonder how hard this would be to implement, is it more than just
> caching the already fetched rows - and how much does postgresql's
> native protocol has support for this task?

The frontend-backend protocol only supports fetching forward in a cursor
(portal). To scroll a resultset based on a cursor you would have to use
direct SQL manipulation of the cursor MOVE/FETCH. Someone tried this
awhile ago and came close to a working solution. The driver source has
changed significantly since then and in a direction that makes this a
tougher thing to do...

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2004-05/threads.php#00164

> Where can I get the current jdbc-sourcecode?

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/development/cvs.html

Kris Jurka