Re: Again the JSCreator and Metadata issues

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: pedro farinha <op217537(at)mail(dot)telepac(dot)pt>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Again the JSCreator and Metadata issues
Date: 2005-11-18 18:41:01
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, pedro farinha wrote:

> I am testing the new JSC2 early access and I come across a old
> problem....getResultMetaData null values (I think). In JSC 1 the driver
> works fine but on this early access version it doesn't. I am posting
> what I think is relevant of the trace. I am not sure if this is a issue
> with the driver or the JSC it self so I am posting this into here as
> well as into the EAfeedback program.
>
> java.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid column
> display size. Cannot be less than zero
> at
> com.sun.data.provider.impl.CachedRowSetDataProvider.getMetaData(CachedRowSetDataProvider.java:1299)

I believe you have a variable length field in your table. Sun's
CachedRowSet implementation examines the ResultSetMetaData and creates its
own copy of it. The postgresql JDBC driver returns -1 for
ResultSetMetaData.getColumnDisplaySize() meaning unknown for variable
length fields, like say a column of type "text". Sun does not like this
value and reports an error. In the past we've tried to ask Sun for some
advice in this area and got nothing in response. Other than -1 the
only other real defensible value for getColumnDisplaySize would
probably be Integer.MAX_VALUE. We've been concerned that GUIs would
try to actually use this provided value and they would blow up, but
the only complaints we've heard are from people disliking the -1
value and this problem doesn't seem to be going away.

I suggest we try returning Integer.MAX_VALUE for a while and see what
complaints we get. Objections?

Kris Jurka