Re: fixing REL7_3_STABLE build issues

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fixing REL7_3_STABLE build issues
Date: 2005-07-16 16:00:12
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> > The attached (new) src/test/regress/expected/geometry_9.out, intended
> > only for the 7.3 stable branch, allows a clean regression pass on my
> > FC4 box. I called it that to avoid conflicts with other geometry_n files
> > on later branches.
>
> I'd like to have a more principled approach to fixing the back branches
> than "we'll do whatever it takes to have a clean buildfarm board on the
> set of machines that happen to have volunteered to run buildfarm on that
> branch".

I think the emphasis on the buildfarm (at least for the "principled
approach") is wrong. The policy should be that for any platform all
supported branches should pass all tests unless something is legitimately
broken and cannot be fixed without major surgery. If this was the stated
policy I know more buildfarm members would run the 7.2/3 branches to help
enforce it.

Also getting the regression tests to pass on even older versions(<=7.1)
seems like a waste of time, but ensuring that they at least compile and
start to allow data extraction may not be, as a recent -general thread has
shown.

Kris Jurka