Re: Interval support for Postgres

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Siegmar <o(dot)siegmar(at)vitrado(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interval support for Postgres
Date: 2005-04-21 21:00:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Oliver Siegmar wrote:

> Well, actually there is almost no implementation at all. Parsing strings in
> Java in 2005 is a royal pain in the ass - doing that for 0.x% users suck even
> more.

Well, just be thankful the 8.0 release finally dropped JDK 1.1 support.

> Let's assume I'd write a JDBC2 version with old-school string parsing - would
> you apply it to upstream, or are there any other show stoppers?

We definitely want something better for PGInterval. I do have some
questions about the implementation you've got.

1) You have an "int milliseconds" field. PG supports microsecond
precision in intervals. Is there any reason not to go with a plain "float
seconds" field instead of splitting these up?

2) getValue() calls nf.format(Math.abs(milliseconds)), if milliseconds is
2 won't the NumberFormat(ter) turn that into .02 ?

3) In general the whole "before" API is confusing. Do you have any better
ideas on how to handle this?
a) Note getValue() returns the wrong value if hours == 0 and minutes < 0.
b) Doesn't clone() need to copy the before setting?
c) After a setValue() if someone does setYear() don't they need to
know the before setting (which is protected).

Kris Jurka