Re: setObject on PGInterval throws "Unknown Type null"

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Jean-Pierre Pelletier <pelletier_32(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setObject on PGInterval throws "Unknown Type null"
Date: 2005-01-25 22:30:30
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> [ways to set null values for non-standard types]

I'm kind of leaning to removing the restriction that nulls must be
strongly typed. Compared to the current workarounds the idea that a
(very) few cases won't work isn't that bad. What I recall "? IS NULL"
won't work and "func(?)" could be ambiguous, but that doesn't stop you
from specifying a type for these cases. For non-null values we need the
strong typing to ensure that we don't send data in a different format than
the server expects, but this is not an issue with nulls.

Kris Jurka