Re: Question

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Franco Bruno Borghesi <franco(at)akyasociados(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question
Date: 2004-11-13 17:04:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've donwloaded pg80b1.308.jdbc3.jar from jdbc.postgresql.org and now my
> calls to PreparedStatement.setObject(int, Object) are failing, when they
> used to work with the previous driver version.
>
> The message I get is: "Cant infer the SQL type to use for an instance of
> {0}. Use setObject() with an explicit Types value to specify the type to
> use.".
>
> Calling setObject(int, Object, Types.xxxxx) works ok, but I need
> setObject(int, Object). I've tryied setObject(int, Character) and
> setObject(int, java.util.Date) and both fail with the same message.
> Haven't tested other cases.

setObject(int, Object) has a limited number of types that it knows about
(and Character and java.util.Date aren't in them). Using String and
java.sql.Date will work but you probably don't want to do that. Supposing
we did add these two types to setObject's knowledge, what does
java.util.Date map to? With java.sql.Date/Time/Timestamp you know what
datatype you are really talking about.

Kris Jurka