Re: FW: Question about the postgres resultset implementation

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "Tornroth, Phill" <ptornroth(at)intellidot(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Question about the postgres resultset implementation
Date: 2004-10-13 17:09:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Tornroth, Phill wrote:

> I did some tinkering of my own and found that one of the problems with
> making the driver less cumbersome is the fact that findColumn() is currently
> case insensitive. I don't know if this is required by the jdbc spec, but it
> seems all the field names come back lower case (in the fields[] array), and
> so I could replace the implementation without understanding how to prevent
> the case of the field names from changing (changing from the case they were
> sent in as).

Case insensitivity is required. Note that field names won't come back in
lowercase if they aren't created as lowercase. Postgresql folds all
non-quoted identifiers to lower case, so you need to quote them to retain
case.

> At any rate, if case insensitivity could be thrown out then a very fast
> implementation could be worked out. As is, the following code was a marked
> improvement:

I believe Peter's suggestion was to use a hashmap to cache the
string->index mapping so that findColumn would only need to do the
equalsIgnoreCase on the first call of that string, meaning once per column
instead of for every call.

Kris Jurka