Re: tightening up on use of oid 0

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tightening up on use of oid 0
Date: 2004-10-12 05:29:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Oliver Jowett wrote:
> > I am currently cleaning up a few places where OID 0 could get used as a
> > parameter type (causing the backend to try to infer a type).
>
> Here is a patch to do this, including the PGobject changes to handle SQL
> NULLs.

What I was suggesting before was a means to allow users to specify a pg
type for the Types.OTHER case, but not to require it. I don't see the
danger in allowing OID 0 in this case. I know you are after complete
strong typing, but I don't see the benefit while I do see the drawback.
Comments?

Kris Jurka