Re: Detecting SQL_ASCII databases

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Detecting SQL_ASCII databases
Date: 2004-09-20 09:31:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> 8.0 backends report the server_encoding value of the database via
> ParameterStatus during startup. I'd like to use this to detect SQL_ASCII
> databases and complain loudly.

That would certainly help people who have setup their databases
incorrectly, but it is actually legal to have a setup like this as long as
you only use seven bit ascii characters. I'm not sure where I stand on
this. There are probably plenty of databases that are working fine with
the current setup. For example even using 8 bit chars in a SQL_ASCII
database, if all clients are unicode then the only problem you'll see is
the length check in something like varchar(100) failing.

Kris Jurka