Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Mike Martin <mmartin(at)vieo(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData
Date: 2004-08-03 06:00:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> As for existing implementations, a quick google turned this up:
>
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/html/as400/v4r5/ic2924/index.htm?info/db2/rbafymst69.htm
>
> which seems to indicate that DB2 has a column display label (via LABEL
> ON COLUMN) in addition to column name & column comment.

This is certainly interesting. OK, I'm pretty much convinced, but would
like to go over some issues with regard to getTableName and getSchemaName.

I believe we agree that for consistency's sake we should return the table
alias (if any) in getTableName. How could we do that, and what would the
purpose be? At the moment there is no way to even detect that a column's
source has been aliased and if you could what would a user do with that
alias? The inability to detect an alias means that we cannot report the
base table and schema names only in the non-aliased case. Is it worth
creating pg specific getBaseXXXName functions for table/schema while the
official ones go unused (return "" always) solely for consistency?

Kris Juraka