Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Mike Martin <mmartin(at)vieo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData
Date: 2004-07-29 21:41:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Mike Martin wrote:

> 2. Every other JDBC driver I'm familiar with behaves that way
> (with the exception, I hear, of MimerSQL, which confuses
> getColumnLabel() with SQL alias the way our new code does).

What do they return for getColumnLabel()? Previously we returned the same
value for both methods simply because we couldn't implement getColumnName
as we do now. If they all return the alias in getColumnLabel that would
be telling.

> I'm not clear why a JDBC client would want or need to know the
> "underlying" column name, if there even is one. I can see why
> the driver might need to know that internally for purposes of
> updateability but that's something different.

To allow client software to do the updates or allow the user to navigate
from a query result column to the base table or to/through foreign keys on
it. There could be a number of uses.

Kris Jurka